China Painting Knowledge
Chinese Paintings > Mounting
Chinese Painting Mounting
Copyrighted by InkDance Chinese Painting Gallery. Linking & Content Shared are permitted, but should be signed to this webpage.
An unmounted Chinese painting can not be framed or hung directly. If you want to get a traditional graceful appearance, you can mount your Chinese painting on a hanging scroll; If you want to protect your Chinese painting much better from dust and dampness, you can frame it with wood.
1. Why my Chinese painting/calligraphy need to be mounted?
-The importance of mounting Chinese painting / Chinese calligraphy.For setting the Chinese painting/calligraphy off to advantage, and being easy to display, preserve and collect, Chinese painting/calligraphy is inseparable from mounting. Due to traditional Chinese painting/calligraphy is mainly executed on Rice Paper (Xuan paper) (or silk) which is soft and thin (it is broken easily when stored for a long time), the ancients of China invented mounting which is good for preservation and appreciation.
Mounter paste one or several sheet of silk brocades or paper on the back of the painting/calligraphy then add necessary decoration not only for reinforcing and protecting the painting/calligraphy but also for the convenience of displaying. Scroll mounting fits in with the demand of appreciation of the day. In order to meet the needs of modern, traditional Chinese painting also can be framed (mounted on silk brocade first).
Mounting is, so to speak, the further processing for painting/calligraphy. Just as Fu Baoshi(傅抱石)—contemporary famous painter of China said: as an artwork, mounting is the most important part except the painting which artistic merit is determined by the artist. It serves to show the importance of the mounting of painting/calligraphy in the entire art of painting and calligraphy.
-It's better that new-done painting/calligraphy should be mounted timelyGenerally, the new-done painting/calligraphy need to be stowed away for some time so that ink and inkpad could dry out naturally. But don't stow it for too long. Because Xuan paper absorbs ink, color and glue, it will wrinkle when dry. As a result, painting/calligraphy should be mounted in time. If not mount, far from its original form, the excellence of painting/calligraphy would be impaired. Otherwise, if you don't want to mount it in time, the new-done unmounted painting after dry need to be well rolled and preserved to prevent the dust, etc. All unmounted Chinese paintings in stock on our gallery are well preserved to keep the dust, etc away. Mounting make painting vivid, neat and artistic, whilst adding more charm.
The unmounted painting/calligraphy which is not well preserved before mounting, its medium will be broken off soon from the crease if it is damaged, polluted and discolored by inadvertence. And it tends to incur worm, leaving the hidden trouble for future storage. So, in order to keep it for long time, as well as for the convenience of appreciation, storage and handing down, it is necessary to well preserve painting/calligraphy before mounting, and then mount them!.
2. Mounted on Silk BrocadeMounting on Silk Brocade is the basic for framing with wood. More details about Mounted on Silk Brocade...
3. Mounted as Chinese Hanging Wall ScrollsMore details about Mounted as Chinese Scrolls...
4. Framed with WoodChinese mounting helps to restore the artists' intent and spirit to a vivid look. When framing a Chinese painting with wood, you usually need to firstly mount it on a silk brocade. Normally it will take 4~7 days in out gallery to finish the mounting process for our professional mounters.
5. Mount it on your own.If the Chinese painting is not preserved by mounting or is not framed, it might get creases, tears, or accelerated aging. If you didn't choose to mount or frame your Chinese painting at our gallery, we suggest you mount or frame your painting with the mounting and framing specialist for Chinese paintings in your local city.
If you are going to do it yourself, you need to do more with the following processes:
1. The painting itself can not be directly sticked to the wall or wood panel. You can use two or more plastic clips to hang your Chinese painting, please carefully keep the painting open and flat, and protect the painting in case that it was torn by the wind.
2. Use a little sprinkling can, evenly spray the whole painting until it is just wet.
The Chinese painting is done on Xuan Paper which is made of many plant fibers and it has excellent absorbency of water, ink, and color. So, after the painting soaks up water, the folded or wrinkled paper will become even and smooth, and all the fold lines will disappear.
3. Leave the painting to air dry completely (please don't use a hairdryer or other drying methods, just let the painting dry itself), then you can operate other displaying methods on your Chinese painting(mounting or framing).
Any Questions about Chinese Painting Mounting?
We are happy to help you learn more about Chinese Painting Mounting. Replied in 0.5 - 23.5 hrs.